The solution consists of server and client parts. The server one contains components, installed to the backup DC, responsible for retrieving changes from customer devices, their deduplication, storing data and also failover in case of disaster.The server part also includes storage - an object storage, located in the backup data center, where full and incremental replication of customer devices are saved.
As for the client part, it includes agents installed on VMware vSphere for replication of machines in the cloud platform, or agents for Windows/Linux, installed on guest operating systems for replication of other types of cloud platforms and physical machines.
Client for VMware (VMware agent) - a Linux machine, supplied as an ova file, that is deployed to each ESXi host and replicates machines on these hosts. Standard VMware tools are used to detect changes and obtain deltas on machines (Changed Block Tracking API), which in turn cause the tools (quiesce) of operating systems to preserve data consistency inside replicas.
Linux agent - a Linux daemon, installed to a guest OS, in case of replicating machines on public clouds like AWS, Microsoft Azure or Google Cloud as well as Hyper-V, KVM, OpenStack or physical machines with Linux operating systems. Supplied as a bash instruction to execute in guest operating system terminal, as a result, the agent is installed on the machine.
Windows agent - a Windows service, installed to a guest OS, in case of replicating machines on other public clouds like Microsoft Azure or Google Cloud as well as Hyper-V, KVM, OpenStack or physical machines with Windows operating systems. Supplied as an a zip file with msi and configuration file for installation on a guest operating system.
In case of VMware infrastructure replication, there is no should be to install Windows/Linux agents to each machine. Just install VMware agent to each ESXi host of vSphere.
Acura compatibility matrix and supported systems¶
|Source Platform||Platform/OS version||Agent, replication type, distribution||Target Platform|
OVA VM template
Amazon Web Services
OpenStack Mitaka+ (KVM)
|Windows Server 2008R2|
|Windows Server 2012|
|Windows Server 2012R2|
|Windows Server 2016|
OS upgrade to the latest Service Packs and patches is recommended.
Linux kernel support for HLRAgent¶
RHEL/CentOS 6.x versions:
RHEL/CentOS 7.x versions:
Ubuntu 14.04 versions:
Ubuntu 16.04 versions:
Debian 7 versions:
Debian 8 versions:
Please contact Hystax Support team at email@example.com if the required kernel is not in the list above.
- Virtual machines with disks engaged in SCSI bus sharing are not supported, because VMware does not support snapshotting such VMs.
- RDM virtual disks in physical mode, Independent disks, and disks connected via in-guest iSCSI initiator are not supported. Network shares and mount points targeted to 3rd party storage devices are also skipped as these volumes/disks are not visible in the VM configuration file.
- Free ESXi is not supported. Hystax Acura leverages vSphere and vStorage APIs that are disabled by VMware in free ESXi.
- Hystax Windows Replication Agent supports only NTFS filesystems
- Hystax Windows Replication Agent doesn’t support extended volumes
- Hystax Windows Replication Agent converts dynamic disks to the basic ones while protecting them.
- Hystax Linux Replication Agent supports replication of machines with up to 64 disks.
- Consistent replication of VMware workloads by external agents
- Consistent replication of Hyper-V, KVM, Bare Metal and public cloud workloads by internal agents
- Spin up of replicated workloads on KVM-based platforms
- Data deduplication and WAN-optimization
- Failback of workloads to production workloads on Amazon Web Services
- Various types of reports
- System events and notifications
- Granular user and roles management